Kaiden ended up having two different therapy appointments on Thursday. We thought it was pretty funny. I had received a call Wednesday afternoon that the therapist would be available to meet with us at 2:00 pm. Well, for some unknown reason, I was waiting and ready at 11:30 am to see the therapist. I knew, with all conviction I possess, that we had an appointment at 11:30 am and there was not a second for the day.
So, we had the physical therapy appointment and I wrote about it. Then, 2:00 pm rolls around, and I received a phone call stating that "I am at the door." I had been in the computer room at that time posting about the appointment that had taken place earlier and had no recollection that there was another one about to happen.
We had a speech therapy session, and I learned some really eye opening things:
***NO MORE SIPPY CUPS ANYWHERE!!!***
Come to find out, the sippy cup does not allow the tongue, the lower jaw or the other muscles responsible for making certain sounds to mature and strengthen. Well, this means that drinks need to be taken from a regular cup, through a straw or out of a bottle such as a water bottle.
I was told to put things like honey, peanut butter and chocolate syrup around his mouth so that he could practice licking them off. We should really focus on the area underneath his mouth since those muscles need the most help. Also, allow him to drink thick shakes through a straw, blow bubbles outside and in the bathtub (with a straw), and we will be receiving a set of horns that will allow him to practice making an "O" shape with his mouth.
After our session was over, we walked outside to blow some bubbles. I started by showing Kaiden how he needed to shape his mouth to create the right airflow setup. Then, I put the bubble wand close to his face, and you would have thought Kaiden was trying to help Pawpaw blow out the numerous candles that are going to be on Pawpaw's cake this year! (CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT!!! :)) I tried blowing in his hand to show him that he needed to blow softer. I brought the bubble wand back to his mouth and was greeted with a shower from my darling son...He then wanted to do this by his self, so I told him that I would hold the bubble mixture and he could dip the wand and work on blowing the bubbles. This lasted all of five minutes.
There are many more upcoming appointments that have already been scheduled. I keep a calendar on the desktop of the computer to keep track of everything. I'm hyper organized these days.
Until the next time, happy reading!
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment